Monday, December 25, 2023

Google Maps through Indiana

 


Garmin Stats and Maps



Beautiful dogwoods

Day 35 Ride Video

Google Maps had done a terrific job plotting a scenic and safe cycling route through Illinois. I was eager to see if my luck would continue into Indiana. I crossed the Wabash River into historic Vincennes. I wished I had thought to ride on the sidewalk across the bridge because I would have been able to see the river and I wouldn't have held up traffic. Vincennes has lots of statues and monuments commemorating important moments in the Revolutionary and Civil Wars. The ride to Ouabache (Tribal spelling of Wabash) Trails campground continued along the river on quiet undulating roads. Even though it was still only April, the weather was dry and warm enough to set up a tent. This is a state park and there were only a few campers. Tent camping is $20 which I thought was a bit steep considering the site didn't have electricity or water. Luckily, full hook-up RV sites were directly across and I could easily plug in my batteries. I was given a group site which was big enough for 10 tents. Even though it is clearly designed for tent camping there wasn't anywhere level. The site was also littered with branches and twigs from months of winter storms. There was plenty of kindling for a fire.


Group tent site

Lots of kindling

For me, one of the hardest things about tent camping, especially so early in the season, is the days aren't very long. Once the sun goes down, the temperature drops and all I can do is get in my tent to warm up in my sleeping bag. This makes for a very long and quiet night. 


Interesting long and narrow building

Old auto repair shop

Abandoned farmhouse

I slept as well as I ever do tent camping and stayed snuggled in my sleeping bag waiting for the temperature to rise in the morning. I have everything to make a nice hot bowl of oatmeal and a good strong cup of coffee. I tend to clear everything out of the tent 1st thing in the morning before I get up. This makes packing while I'm waiting for the water to boil easy. By the time I finish breakfast, the tent and everything I used overnight is put away in the trailer.


Day 36 Ride video

Abandoned barn

Springtime tulips

Google Maps plotted me a different way out of the campground than I came in. The ride was beautiful on a chilly but calm morning. The roads in southern Indiana are terrific for cycling. No wind, low traffic with a temperature that rose to the 70s. This was a fabulous ride through Amish farming country. The Amish don't like having their pictures taken but how can I resist. For me, it's so special to be around this unique community. I hope they weren't too offended. I went from a campground near Vincennes to another primitive campground near Mitchell. How about that? Camping 2 nights in a row!


Day 37 ride video

Well used barn

Lush farmland

It was a big climb to get to Martin State Forest campground. The fee is $13, cash only, with a very threatening sign of legal action for deadbeats. Who carries $13? Well, apparently, I do which really surprised me.


Cooking in camp

I chose wisely

This was an odd place. There is no water spigot and only vault toilets. I'm not sure I've ever paid to camp where there is no water before and I did expect water to be available. Before arriving, I checked the website, mostly to make sure the campground was open, and there was no mention of this being a dry campground. Not good. I was going to have to be careful to make the water I brought last. I picked a site that was far from the road because I expected to be the only camper.

There is a hiking trail that comes out of the campground a few people drove in to walk it. I asked each person if they had any extra water but no luck. As the sun was setting, a man in a loud, beater truck pulled in. He was quite a sight. His appearance was greasy with missing teeth, his shirt open, dirty and ripped. He was older and very overweight. I doubted he was there to hike. He was cheerful enough and asked how I was doing. I asked if he had any water but, again, no luck. After a bit of chit-chat, he drove off.

Half an hour later he was back with 2 gallons of bottled water for me. How very thoughtful and a big relief. He also wouldn't take any money. 2 gallons is too much for me to carry and I persuaded him to keep one gallon in his truck. Even though he was generous to bring water, I was still suspicious of this guy. Maybe I've watched too much true crime but I kept asking myself why he drove into the campground in the 1st place and now he knew I was here alone overnight. Another problem I have with camping is my imagination tends to get the best of me.


Day 38 video

Luckily, the night passed uneventfully and the next couple of days riding in Indiana continued to be along beautiful, quiet country roads. The weather turned colder with rain overnight which gave me a good excuse to stay in a hotel where I always sleep better.

The temperature continued to drop and the sufferfest tour returned. Using Google Maps has been really good but, occasionally, it comes with surprises. On one ride I found gravel and barking, protective dogs. I don't mind gravel until I lose traction with my rear wheel. I had been riding for a few miles with a gentle uphill slope. The dogs had been barking at me the whole time and I was happy to get to where they live and the owner called them off. The farm was at a steep turn and luckily, a younger girl was there to ask for help pushing my trailer through the thicker gravel. It was only a short 50 ft and then another 1/2 mile to get to asphalt again. I'm not sure what I would have done if the young girl wasn't there. the trailer was much too heavy for me to push alone. I do like asphalt!


Last Ride in Indiana







No comments:

Post a Comment