Wednesday, April 05, 2023

Groom, TX to Erick, OK

 


Garmin Stats and Maps

Amarillo, TX to Groom, TX

Groom, Tx to McLean, TX

McLean, TX to Erick, OK



Lovely meals with Melanie and Pastor Tom


A huge storm came through Albuquerque while I was being hosted. My timing to get off the road couldn't have been better. I ended up staying 3 nights with Melanie and Pastor Tom. They have a very comfortable home and really took great care of me. I loved our conversations and the delicious meals. They are a very generous and interesting couple. Pastor Tom kept a vigilant watch on the weather. He saw the mountains to the east on my route were forecast to get 4 inches of snow with the incoming storm. Oh boy! I can't even consider riding in the snow. Melanie and Tom generously offered for me to stay until after the snowstorm passed. Realistically, this could be many, many days. That's a long time to be at someone's home. I decided to rent a U-Haul truck to escape the worst of the storm. There was a break in the weather on the morning of my 3rd day and Pastor Tom suggested if I was determined to go this would be the window. He helped me get to the rental place to pick up a truck. There are a few restrictions for renting one-way trucks. The closest town I could rent a U-Haul truck to on my route is Amarillo, TX. This would be a jump of 250 miles. The cost of renting a truck was going to be about the same as I would have spent riding. Pastor Tom said I wouldn't be missing much besides desert and scrub which is beautiful in it's own way. Renting the truck put me a week's ride ahead.


Video of drive from Albuquerque, NM to Amarillo, TX

Picking up the U-Haul truck in the snow


With Myrtle and the trailer loaded up in the U-Haul truck, I left Albuquerque driving in the snow. Pastor Tom said to take it slow getting out of town and once I cleared Clines Corner, conditions would improve. The drive went exactly as he said it would. Once I got passed Clines Corner, the snow stopped and as I descended the eastern side of the mountain, the snow on the side of the road disappeared. It wasn't long before I crossed from New Mexico into Texas. Within a few hours, I was in Amarillo dropping off the truck. 

Trike and trailer put together again in Amarillo, TX

Some U-Haul customers helped me get Myrtle and the trailer out of the truck and I made my way just a few miles into town to look for a hotel room. Amarillo is a fairly sketchy-looking place, especially along Route 66. I stopped at a number of motels that were all disgustingly dirty before getting a room at Route 66 Inn. I'm usually where I need to go for the night by 3 pm. Today, with the long drive, I was riding closer to 5 pm. It was also St. Patrick's day. I was nervous riding on the busy road and very worried about drunk drivers. I was grateful to get check-in without incident.

Amarillo hotel

Myrtle safe in the room

Amarillo to Groom, TX


The morning after St. Patrick's day was very quiet. Temps for the start of my ride were in the low 30s, bbbrrrr cold. Even though it felt much better to be on Route 66 instead of I-40, the landscape was sparse and barren. The fields haven't started growing crops. There are few trees like much of the route, so far. The riding from Amarillo to Groom and then McLean was mostly about getting to the next warm hotel room and being safe for the night. There wasn't anything interesting to explore and it was just too cold to stop anyway.


Video of the ride from Groom to McLean, TX


On Route 66 - Texas

Lots of wind and wind turbines

Route 66 in Texas


************************************************************************************




Please click here to become a member of my Patreon. You can join for as little as $1 per month

To make a direct donation please click here


******************************************************************

 
 
 

***************************************************************

Do you want to join my 2023 USA trike tour? Please click here to fill out the contact form. 

***********************************************************************************


I wasn't in Texas but a few days before crossing into Oklahoma. The landscape continued to be bleak. The route also continued to descend. I was hoping the temperature would rise. At least there wasn't any snow. The temperature rose incrementally and was still very cold with strong south or southwest winds. A few times that I had a headwind was, luckily, not for long. The wind is very loud, brutally cold, and slows me down a lot. Headwinds are not fun! I was very happy to be riding east. The strong westerly wind would make cycling this route from east to west very difficult. I'm hoping my ride from DC to Oregon won't have winds as strong as I have been experiencing coming east. I might need bigger batteries for that return trip! It felt good to be in a new state and also seemed like I got here very fast. 


Video of the ride from McLean, TX to Erick, OK









No comments:

Post a Comment