Saturday, July 20, 2024

2025 Trike Tour Planning and Spokumbent Retreat 2024

 


Reflective heron flying

Mt St. Helens

Scenic overview high above the Columbia River

After a wonderful week in Portland, visiting friends, I headed north into Washington. I had 2 objectives. Since leaving the desert, I had been traveling north on Hwy 395 to see if this would be a good trike touring route. The route goes along the eastern sierras in California, Oregon, and Washington. It has very little commercial/semi-truck traffic with a wide shoulder, and after what looks to be the 1st 3 days of riding, the scenery is terrific. I was thrilled to see this road is fantastic for cycling, and I am busy plotting a tour for the summer of 2025. Portland won't be on my tour, and so I drove east toward Pendleton, Oregon, where I would restart the route north. Hopefully, the route will continue to be as inspiring as it has been. 

I have seen only 2 small sections that have me concerned. There are 2 days of riding in the desert when I get on Hwy 395, where there is nothing but shrub bushes and grasses. For the 1st 2 nights of touring, I can see very run-down motel options, but there will probably be 2 nights of stealth camping. I'm not a huge fan of stealth camping only because I have difficulty sleeping. My imagination always hears animals rummaging outside my tent at night. I saw many dirt roads that turn away from Highway 395 where I could ride 1/2 mile, or more, to put distance between me and the highway traffic noise. I saw some water tanks and small electrical grid buildings I could use as shelter. This will be especially helpful if there is wind, and this area, typically, gets a lot of wind. 

I expect the trike tour to start in early May of 2025, and there may be higher temps than over the winter months. However, when I drove this section in the middle of May, temperatures were very reasonable. The topography is interesting, and once I get to Inyokern, Lone Pine, and then Manzanar, where the historic Japanese Internment camps from WWII are located, there is moderate climbing, and lava rock formations become visible. The ride is stunningly beautiful from here, with creeks and lakes and plenty of bonafide camping opportunities.

The 2nd not-so-great section is a 60-mile stretch from Lee Vining to Coleville. This section is actually part of the Sierra Cascades Adventure Cycling Route. It is, in fact, a state biking route with signs letting traffic know to expect bikes. As Highway 395 winds its way next the Swaugher Creek, sometimes the shoulder disappears. The only parts I'm worried about are uphill sections where my speed will be slower. Sometimes, a metal guard rail prevents bikers from any chance of getting off the road. This also happens during downhill sections but, in those sections, I can ride at traffic speeds and take the lane. Posted speeds on this winding part of Highway 395 will be slower, but many blind turns were scary to negotiate even while driving. This section will be stressful on the trike. I plan to get an earlier start to miss the heavier trafficked times of the day. Even though the traffic will be something to watch, the scenery is breathtakingly beautiful. This area is the gateway to Yosemite, and the whole route is gorgeous. Otherwise, the rest of the route, all the way from the desert, feels safe for cycling. It has fascinating histories to explore, with many drone and photography opportunities. Small towns dot the way for supply refills, motels, and camping options. Hwy 395 has everything a touring cyclist could ask for. I am much more excited about this tour than my last tour across the US.

I drove north from Goldendale in Washington to Wenatchee, mainly on Highway 97, and I loved the drive. There were very low-traffic roads through farmland. Unfortunately, there were few camping opportunities, and I had to climb up a steep, unpaved road that I didn't think would be fun on my trike. It wasn't fun in my truck pulling a trailer. I'll change this route for the tour to follow Highways 240 and 28 west of Richland, past the Hanford Reach National Monument, and along the Columbia River into Wenatchee. 


Street corner near Robin and Chris

View from Chris and Robin's beautiful home on the Columbia River

Video cycling with Robin, Chris, and Ryan on a hand cycle

Attending the Spokumbent Retreat has been on my bucket list but, unfortunately, I could not find a campsite. There are 2 state parks on the trail and an RV park in town. All were full during the event. I was very fortunate that my friends Dave and Edna called Chris and Robin in Wenatchee, out of the blue, a month before the event. They were driving to Canada and decided to stop in and say 'hi'. Edna mentioned that I wanted to go to Spokumbent but needed a place for my RV trailer, and Chris and Robin offered to let me park at their home. You just never know what will happen next, do you? They have a beautiful home right on the Columbia River, and my trailer fit like a glove. I really enjoyed getting to know Robin and Chris better. They are big into cycling and ride almost everyday all year. We did a few very fun rides together. Robin and Chris didn't know about Spokumbent and we were able to enjoy the weekend riding with the group.


Nest at Chris and Robin's home.

Most of the attendees

Regroup at the Pipeline Bridge


Video of the Spokumbent Retreat 2024

Spokumbent is a newer event put on by the Spokumbent Cycling Group. This is a very active group from Spokane, Washington. I've known most members from attending Tater TOT in Idaho and the Recumbent Retreat in Oregon. It was wonderful to meet up and ride with this group at their event based out of Wenatchee Confluence State Park. The park has direct access to the Apple Capital bike trail and also an easy ride into downtown. There were about 25 trikers in attendance, and I had a great time. The trail goes along the Columbia River through farmland and cherry orchards with lots of wildlife sightings, such as eagles, cardinals, osprey, deer and marmot. Dates for next year will be posted soon, and the event is expected to be held at the same state park. Check the Spokumbent Facebook Group Page for more info. I'll make this event part of my trike tour next summer! I hope to see y'all there!!








2 comments:

  1. I love your adventurous spirit and bubbly spirit! Just posted 2025 dates and it will be right before the Tot again. Can't wait to see you in September! Thanks for the shout-out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you betcha!! See you at the RR.

      Delete