Saturday, November 05, 2022

Teddy Roosevelt and Heading West


Entrance to Theodore Roosevelt National Park
 
Hillside of bison

Wild horses

Beautiful horses in the sun

Prairie dog

Pronghorn

From Minnesota, I drove west into North Dakota stopping at Theodore Roosevelt National Park. I had heard there was a good cycling route through the park and I wanted to ride it. Teddy Roosevelt is in Medora near Montana in a terrain of prairie grasses. Even though I was there in August, the park was green. The day I rode through was gorgeous. I saw lots of wildlife including prairie dogs, pronghorn, wild horses and bison. I even rode with bison. Riding here was a real thrill.


Video of my ride through Theodore Roosevelt National Park


Riding with bison

Large herd

Close up


Panorama from view point


Sunset on the prairie

From North Dakota, I headed west into Montana stopping to camp at Harvest Hosts locations. I parked at horse farms, ranches and wineries. This program gets me off the beaten track and I get to see interesting places and businesses. The stops are always only for one night and, for this trip, that was perfect.


Horse ranch Harvest Hosts stop

I took this photo out the trailer door

Vineyard stop

Parked at a ranch over night

In Idaho, I stopped at a new friend's home. This couple I met while boondocking in Utah. Randy and Roz have a beautiful home on the Pend Orielle River which is pronounced Ponderay. It was fun to see them, meet new friends and visit Sand Point which I had never been to.

I also visited friends, Robert and Annie, in Boise that I know from studying Spanish in Guanajuato, Mexico. It was very hot and we spent the afternoons at the RV park pool to stay cooler. We always have a good time together.

Beautiful spot

Sunset on the Pend Orielle

Enjoying new friends

River view

Next, I drove to Washington and visited friends I've known for a long time through triking. Keith and Elaine live in Olympia near a few bike trails. I stopped for 2 nights and we rode trikes. Very fun!


One of many trails

Triking with Keith and Elaine with Mt Ranier in the background

Drone shot

Memorial to veterans

Selfie on the trail with Keith

Fun lunch stop

Keith leading the way

Chehalis trail

After my visit in Olympia, I headed south to Portland. There were a few things I needed to take care of here. I left my trailer at the RV dealer where I bought it and had them do a major maintenance overhaul. They resealed all the seams, repacked the wheel bearings, replaced the anode rod in the hot water tank and put new covers on the fan vents. After 2 1/2 years, I thought it was time to give the trailer some love.

Lady bug

Dragonfly

Heron pair

Heron in flight

White pelicans


I stayed with my friend Diane who I know from my tennis playing days. We have known each other a long, long time. We also both really enjoy photography and look for places to take our cameras. The weather was beautiful and we were busy.

I also stopped by T-Cycle while in Portland to pick up some trike gear. I replaced my side seat mount bag opting for the larger Arkel bag. Pat Franz, the owner, spent a good deal of time with me getting things right. I had recently received a new seat from HP Velotechnik, my trike manufacturer. The geometry of the new seat was a bit different from the old seat. My old neck rest didn't fit the new seat and so I bought what is called a 'Krispy Steve' neck rest. Pat made sure it fit. He even machined some parts for me. Pat is always very generous with his time. 


Pat machining parts for me

New 'Krispy Steve' neck rest 

Pat machining more parts!




















2 comments:

  1. Great trip and photos‼️Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful pictures of your amazing trip. How do you manage to get the animals to line up for perfect portraits?

    ReplyDelete