Sunday, October 10, 2021

What I Did This Summer

 

Full Moon over Portland


Sunrise Shot from the House in Portland

View with Volcano Mount St Helens

I've been in Portland since the middle of July and I had a long list of things to take care of that has kept me very busy all summer. I spent a lot of money too. Having a stable address for a few months has meant I could order things and get it all delivered which is tricky while traveling. I have another 2 weeks until I get back in my truck and trailer resuming the RV life looking for places to ride my trike all over the magnificent USA. 

I didn't waste any time to mark things off this long to-do list because, even though I've stayed here for 13 summers, I'm never sure if I'll be back. For instance, last summer I couldn't return because of Covid. Mitzi, my friend who owns the house, couldn't go to her home in France which meant I couldn't go to Portland. Even before Covid, I've been mindful that this situation will eventually end.  For sure, a pandemic was never something I anticipated. Mitzi is well into her 70's and I was more concerned that her health may prevent flying or it would simply make more sense for her to remain in Portland and near family. Over the last few year's I've been cleaning out belongings that I've stored in the garage and basement in anticipation that some day I wouldn't be able to return and wanted to be ready. I was very aware that cleaning out these items would be much more difficult if I couldn't return.

The list of things I've taken care of is very long and with 2 weeks left I can say I actually got through it all and have nothing left to do but a last minute pedicure, hair cut and color, and a maintenance check for my trike. Plenty of time. I'm really glad I took this list seriously because it seems that this will, in fact, be my last summer staying at the house. Of all the things I speculated would be the reason for not returning, having my truck broken into was not what I imagined. My Ford F150 Super Cab truck with the 6.5 ft bed is too big to fit in the garage and it has been broken into twice parked in the driveway. Both times a window was smashed and the 2nd time something was stolen. I also learned that my truck alarm only goes off when the doors are opened and so, even though I was in the house, I never heard anything happen. Each time, I discovered the broken windows when going out to the driveway to get in my truck and go somewhere. These are the only times my truck has been broken into. The house where I'm staying is in the SW hills of Portland which is a really nice, upscale neighborhood but, apparently, thieves are everywhere and my truck has become a target. I also know catalytic converters are valuable and I'm very surprised this hasn't been stolen yet. Every day I go out to the driveway I'm checking the exhaust pipe and breathe a sign of relief the converter is still there. Can it hang in there for 2 more weeks? Even if the truck never gets broken into again, everyday I'm anxious and worried expecting another break-in will happen again. My truck simply isn't safe out on the driveway. I've loved being here all these years and I'll miss coming back but I'm also excited for the future.

Like I mentioned earlier, I've been preparing for not returning and feel ready for this big change. Not coming back to Portland for the summer means I can travel to places in the US that are too cold during the winter months when I've always been on the road. For instance, I can go to the northern states and explore the east coast. I expect to always attend Tater TOT in June, the triking event in Idaho and also the Recumbent Retreat held the 2nd weekend in September on the Oregon coast. On my way to these events, I'll be able to visit Portland and see my friends. I know a lot of people in Portland and, certainly, the thing I'll miss most about not returning for the summer is hanging out with my friends and the local chapter of the Lawn Chair Nation. 

Pacific Northwest Recumbent Cyclists in Vancouver, Washington


Recumbent Retreat Riders

Recumbents Meeting at Start of Ride in Milwaukie, Oregon

Aside from traveling to places I haven't been able to there is something else I'm very excited about. For the last 15 years, I haven't had a pet. This is the only time in my life, aside from my college years, I haven't had a cat and I've really missed it. My last cat, Rowena, was 18 years old when I had to put her down due to kidney failure. She was a gorgeous Siamese-mix and just a wonderful companion. Mitzi is allergic to cats and this has kept me catless all these years. Even though I've still got 2 weeks before leaving, and can't get a cat until then, I've been busy talking to triking friends about how to keep a pet safe while cycling and what to consider to make traveling in the truck and trailer better for me and the cat. I've always wanted to have a cat to trike and tour with. I bought a wire basket with a cargo net for the rear rack. It fits on the back of my trike perfectly. Since I've been keeping my drone on the rear rack I also picked up a side pannier for the drone and other kitty stuff that also works well with the basket. Another thing is how to keep the cat safe while driving. Pets can't be in a travel trailer while driving and the cat needs to be with me in the truck. I bought an elevated pet bed to attach to the passenger seat. A short harness will keep the cat from jumping around the truck and we will both be safe. Cats also love being high up to watch what's happening around them. I've bought a window perch with suction cups to put in the rear windows of the trailer. I keep saying cat but I'm actually expecting to get a kitten. I want to get a cat young enough that it will still be flexible to new situations. This will be a very different life for most cats and not one I can expect an older cat could easily adapt to. I don't know when or where or what kind of kitten I'll be getting but I'll be getting a kitten at some point on my travels. My Siamese-mix was very independent and I'm hoping to get a kitten that will be happy on it's own without needing a companion. Lots of people RV with cats and I've been watching videos to learn all their tricks and tips. Some of the challenges of traveling with a cat is where to keep the litter box and food bowls, how to keep the trailer clean of litter and cat fur and how to keep the cat from clawing up the furniture. I think I've solved all these issues - we'll see.... I've been mindful to buy things now while I have an address that I might not be able to pick up easily at a local pet shop or Petco. Most things, like a harness and leash, food, litter and a box will be available locally anywhere I'm traveling and, eventually, find my little kitty. 

Rear Rack Wire Kitty Basket and Side Bag for Drone

Kitty Window Perch for Trailer Rear Window

Over the summer, there are 2 big recumbent events I attend every year. 1st is Tater TOT in Idaho in June and then the Recumbent Retreat in September. For me, these 2 events are the bookends of summer and both were fantastic this year. Tater TOT was lightly attended because of Covid but we all did a lot of riding on the Trail of the Coeur 'Alene. The weather was fantastic. I camped in my trailer in the hotel parking lot which worked out great. The Recumbent Retreat had better attendance than TOT and equally as good weather. Both events were super relaxed and I think it was a big relief for everyone just to be together, laughing and having simple, good, clean fun. On cue, a few days after the Recumbent Retreat, the rains, that the Pacific Northwest is famous for, started and haven't let up. Summer ended and fall started with a gusto.  This summer was a record breaking season for fires in Oregon and the rains have been welcome. 

Tater TOT 2021

Moose Sighting on the Trail of the Coeur d'Alene

Recumbent Retreat Photoshoot and Explanation of Event

The highlight of the RR is the lighted bikes parade - super duper fun

How much stuff did I take care of this summer? The list is too long for this post and will have to wait for the next one.

9 comments:

  1. Don’t forget to mention the lovely ODT and Lake Crescent! :-)
    Shall we ride in SoCal this winter?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Regarding summer stays in Portland without being able to house sit, have you considered looking at “long-term” site rentals, i.e., month-to-month rather than by-the-day/week rates, at rv parks? Portland does have a few that seem pretty good from my own research, though I have never stayed at them and can’t speak from experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, thanks, good idea. There are places I can stay short term just to visit with my buddies for a couple of weeks. I don't really need to stay in Portland all summer.

      Delete
  3. Have you looked at the possibility of monthly site rentals at an rv park? There are a few in Portland that seem pretty good from my own research.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’m so happy that you will be able to get a furry traveling companion! My sister and BIL travel with their cat, Lizzie, in their travel trailer most of the year. They keep her litter box in the shower. Other friends opened up a cat door to the basement storage and put the litter box there. Check out the Escapees Club and forum if haven’t already done so. There’s great full timing info and support there. Plus, they’re a great group of people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, I think the shower is where I'll keep the litter box too. Escapees Club seems like a really good group - I know other people in it too.

      Delete
  5. Good to hear your positive thoughts towards this new adventure and looking forward to possibly joining you on a So Cal rideπŸ˜ŠπŸ’•πŸš²

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool - see you in So Cal!! I camped at Caspers County Park and loved it although you do need t-Mobile cell service.

    ReplyDelete