Sunday, June 17, 2018

Coastal Roads of the Yucatan Peninsula

GPS info and map:




This is an area of the Yucatan that I've been looking forward to seeing since the beginning of my trip. The great astroid that resulted in killing off the dinosaurs crashed in this area of the Yucatan. The astroid made a huge crater that measured 93 miles in diameter and 12 miles deep. It is known as the Chicxulub crater and I rode through this small beach community. There isn't any place you can go to actually see the astroid or crater. There are many cenotes, natural swimming holes, that are said to be a result of the ancient astroid. The cenotes are deep fresh water and are really beautiful in a natural setting.  

Laguna Rosada video with a drone shot I'm proud of

Rio Lagartos


Long flat roads of the Yucatan

Playing with the drone on the road to Tizimin


In beautiful Rio Lagartos, I went on a wonderful boat tour of the lagoon to see large flocks of flamingos.  Flamingos are skittish birds and we had to keep a good distance in the boat. Our driver showed many local birds and other animals including a crocodile resting in a mangrove. I couldn't believe how close he brought the boat. My camera doesn't have much zoom and I was taking pictures within a foot of the croc!

Croc in the water

Rio Lagartos flamingos


Salt flats




Fishing boats in Rio Lagartos

On the boat in Rio Lagartos lagoon


No comments:

Post a Comment